[Python-Dev] Re: Another approach to decorators.

David Eppstein eppstein at ics.uci.edu
Thu Aug 12 04:02:14 CEST 2004

In article <un011l2qz.fsf at boost-consulting.com>,
 David Abrahams <dave at boost-consulting.com> wrote:

> > class Foo:
> >
> >   decorate static:
> >
> >     def static1(blah...):
> >         pass
> >
> >     decorate locksFile:
> >
> >       def static2andLocks(blah...):  # both decorators appy
> >           pass
>
> Wow, Martin Z's idea (using your keyword) really went "thunk" for me.
> What decorate does would be very much like what "class" does in some
> ways.

class: (and other something: constructs) start a block that can contain
any code.  Does this decorate keyword allow e.g. assignments as well as
defs and other decorates?  Or loops?  If so what should it mean?  Is it
like that locals() gets replaced by a special dictionary-like-object
that calls the decorator whenever any of its contents gets set?

--
David Eppstein
Computer Science Dept., Univ. of California, Irvine