[Python-Dev] Re: adding a bytes sequence type to Python

Tony Meyer t-meyer at ihug.co.nz
Tue Aug 17 09:24:26 CEST 2004

[Martin v. Löwis]
> Maybe you are missing the point here, maybe not: there is no
> debate that Python should always have a byte string type
> (although there is debate on whether that type should be mutable).
>
> The current question is whether you want to denote objects of
> the byte string type *in source code*. I.e. do you have the
> "Lots of audio data" stored in .py files?

I don't know about shtoom, but Mike Fletcher's resourcepackage does.  (It
packages up non-*.py files as *.py files).  I believe that the main point of
resourcepackage is for ease of distribution (but could be wrong), so perhaps
better distribution tools make this unnecessary.  It is an example use-case,
though.

=Tony Meyer