[Python-Dev] __metaclass__ and __author__ are already decorators

Paul Morrow pm_mon at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 21 18:29:46 CEST 2004

[I posted this on comp.lang.python.general but I'm not sure how many of
the folks here read that newsgroup, so my apologies if you're seeing
this twice.]

Thinking about decorators, and looking at what we are already doing in
our Python code, it seems that __metaclass__, __author__, __version__,
etc. are all examples of decorators.  So we already have a decorator
syntax.  What is the compelling reason to invent a new one?  And if we
do, what's to become of the old one?

Here's my take on this.  We have two kinds of decorators:  those that
are informational only (like __author__ and __version__), and those
which have side-effects, i.e. those that actually *do* something (like
__metaclass__).

     class Foo:
         """ This describes the Foo class as normal. """
         __metaclass__ = M
         __author__ = 'Paul Morrow'
         __version__ = '0.1'
         __automethods__ = True

         def baz(self, a, b):
             """ This describes the baz method. """
             __synchronized__ = True
             __returns__ = None
             __author__ = 'Neville Shunt'
             # body of baz goes here...

There, that looks pretty clear and pythonic.  Now how to define the
decorators.

     def metaclass(decoratedClass, subType):
         """ This describes the 'metaclass' decorator. """
         __decorator__ = True
         __version__ = '1.9'
         # perform the metaclass operation on decoratedClass

     def synchronized(decoratedFunc, trueOrFalse):
         """ This describes the 'synchronized' decorator. """
         __decorator__ = True
         __author__ = 'Martin Curry'
         __version__ = '0.5'
         # perform the synchronized operation on decoratedFunc

     def returns(decoratedFunc, *args):
         """Docstring for 'returns' decorator."""
         __decorator__ = True
         # body of decorator goes here

Each decorator function receives the class|function|method being
decorated as the first parameter of the function (e.g. decoratedClass
and decoratedFunc above).  The remaining parameters are the values
assigned to the __xxx__ variable in the definition of the decorated
function.

So, in the above example, when the 'returns' decorator function is
called to decorate the 'baz' method, decoratedFunc would recieve the baz
object and args[0] would be set to None (because of the statement
"__returns__ = None" in the definition of baz).

For a function to be used as a decorator function, it must be decorated
as such, by setting its __decorator__ attribute to True.

Does this handle enough of the decorator concerns?

Paul