Freezing Python (was Re: [Python-Dev] 2.4 news reaches interesting places)

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Dec 9 22:20:32 CET 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 10:30, Phillip J. Eby wrote:

> ISTR that for a long time, Visual Basic actually did the same thing.  A few
> magazines mentioned the fact, but nobody really cared.  However, if this is
> really a concern, bundle Pyrex as well.  Both Pyrex and py2exe are
> distutils-based, so at that point you have a complete solution, including
> the "C" meme as well as the ".exe" meme.

As an aside, I wonder if there's interest in collaborating on freeze
tools among the various existing solutions here.  I've recently needed
to look at this and I chose cx_Freeze, primarily because it supported
the platforms I needed.  It's a very good tool.

I've had some conversations with Anthony Tuininga on the cx_Freeze
mailing list and there seems to be some interest in perhaps putting
together a SIG or something.

-Barry