[Python-Dev] The other Py2.4 issue

Carlos Ribeiro carribeiro at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 18:53:10 CET 2004

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 16:40:22 +0100, Martin v. Löwis <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> If none of your users volunteers to do the build for you, I would stop
> worrying about the Windows users.

Sorry, Martin. I understand your point, but I think you are not being
realistic. I for myself took the decision to use only free tools for
my own development, but I still have to suport my Windows customers. I
can't force them to change to Linux. I don't own a copy of MSVC. Also,
one of the reasons to choose a third part module is to save time. The
moment I am required to recompile everything myself I'm losing this
convenience. This of course impacts my ability to focus on my own
work, and so the story goes.

I'm not saying that module authors should work for free just to save
me some time & hassle. It's fair if an author decides to release a
Linux-only module. But again -- this is not realistic. The world has a
lot of Windows users, and I depend on them for my own income. If I
can't find a good set of Python tools for my projects, what should I
do? Picking another language is not a choice, mind you :-)

All in all, I sincerely hope that this discussion end up in a high
note. I'm not qualified to talk about the particulars of C compilers &
development environments, but as a Python user, I have hope that a
good solution will be found to make the process of building Python
extensions for Windows more convenient. The dream scenario is not to
require recompiling, at least inside the same major release (2.4 to
2.5, for example). That would be really great.

--
Carlos Ribeiro
Consultoria em Projetos
mail: carribeiro at gmail.com