[Python-Dev] HP-UX clean-up

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Sat Jan 3 19:31:11 EST 2004

[Cameron Laird]
> Has anyone been in contact with the HP-UX Porting Center
> folks recently?  I wonder if I should enlist their help ...

If and only if they know something about HP-UX <0.5 wink>.  Nobody here
really seems to.  Have you tried their port?  2.3.1 appears to be the most
recent:

    http://hpux.cs.utah.edu/hppd/hpux/Languages/python-2.3.1/

By memory, in the past we've gotten complaints from HP-UX users about
previous Porting Center Pythons in two areas:

1. Apparently some (all?) of their Python ports were built with
   threading disabled entirely.

2. Flaky floating-point behavior.

An example of the latter complaint is here (not a particularly good example,
just the first I bumped into via Googling):

    http://www.ifost.org.au/Software/

    The python for HP-UX 11 that is found at the HP public domain
    software porting centre has buggy floating point problems.  I
    recompiled it with gcc 3 and while there are some round-off
    issues, at least it's not totally deranged... [a link to
    python-211-hpux11-gcc.gz]