[Python-Dev] Relaxing Unicode error handling

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sat Jan 3 22:28:46 EST 2004

At 09:07 AM 1/4/04 +1100, Neil Hodgson wrote:

>    The problem here to me is that the failure is input data dependent so
>often hidden. There should be a way to remove this dependency on input data.
>Is there any way to specify that implicit conversions raise an exception?
>Perhaps by setting the default encoding to "undefined". Then these
>developers can find and fix their bugs before delivery to customers.

Gosh, that sure would have made my last i18n project go faster, and I'd
have had more confidence that I'd found all possible conversion
issues.  OTOH, I would probably have had to make all my string constants
Unicode.  On the *other* other hand, that wouldn't necessarily have been a
bad thing, except for the size, age, and brittleness of the code base in
question.