[Python-Dev] PEP 326 now online

Chermside, Michael mchermside at ingdirect.com
Wed Jan 7 09:43:14 EST 2004

Josiah Carlson writes:
> I've submitted my latest changes that I believe address the concerns
> brought up since I last emailed the list.
      [...]
> The major change of note: it is no longer a builtin.

Nice work! With this current proposal, you've gotten my vote to a solid
+0. I find your current motivation far more convincing -- although I
don't think this is something *I* would need much, I can see the
advantages to having standard High and Low objects.

The only open issue that I think presents any significant barrier is
the question of where to put them. No answer proposed so far seems
like the "one obvious place", and most have been, well, a bit
peculiar (function attributes; sorting properties of function objects).
Of these, I think using min and max (the functions) is my favorite
solution, judging by the simple metric of what would I be most likely
to remember if I had seen it mentioned in a manual once but hadn't
actually used it for a long time. But Guido seems to find this a bit
"too clever".

-- Michael Chermside

This email may contain confidential or privileged information. If you believe you have received the message in error, please notify the sender and delete the message without copying or disclosing it.