[Python-Dev] No more releases of MacPython-OS9?

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Thu Jan 15 15:09:12 EST 2004

[I'm cc-ing python-dev to get some feedback on this issue from a wider
community too, let me know if the crowd there don't want this].

There is a serious problem with distributing future versions of
MacPython-OS9. While the 2.3.3 installer has been sitting on my machine
for the last three weeks I cannot distribute it due to licensing issues
with Installer VISE from Mindvision.

Mindvision's licensing scheme is a subscription-based model: you pay a
yearly fee based on the number of copies you intend to distribute and
whether you're a commercial/noncommercial operation. Built installers
continue to work when you don't renew your subscription, but you cannot
create new installers. For many years they have had a program whereby
shareware and freeware developers could apply for a free license, and
MacPython-OS9 installers have been created with Installer VISE for many
many years. And, I must say, with great satisfaction on my side: even
though MacPython installers have been very complex with 68K versus
PowerPC, Classic  versus Carbon execution model, inclusion of various
optional bits and other issues all handled fairly easily.

However, Mindvision has discontinued the free licensing program. And
while there is some leeway for renewing existing freeware licenses
apparently I should have applied for that before last october, when the
previous license expired (apparently Mindvision thinks that people
create installers every couple of days?).

So now I'm looking at three choices:
1. Stop distributing MacPython-OS9. I was planning to continue the
2.3.X series for as long as I had access to compatible hardware, but as
a community service (personally I couldn't be bothered with OS9
anymore:-).
2. Buy an Installer VISE license. If I read
<http://www.mindvision.com/pricing.asp> correctly this would cost $500
per year, probably for the next 2 years. This will only happen if
someone else comes up with the money: I don't have it...
3. Switch to a different installer. Given the complexity of the
MacPython distribution (even though it is a lot simpler nowadays, with
only Carbon/PPC supported) I don't want to invest time in this. So:
someone else will have to step in and create an installer.

I'd like to hear what people think the best course of action is,
especially from people who have a current interest in MacPython-OS9
(and/or are willing to donate time or money),
Goldman