[Python-Dev] Stackless Python

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Mon Jan 19 23:31:02 EST 2004

On Jan 19, 2004, at 11:14 PM, Josiah Carlson wrote:

>> I'm working on a project (http://www.cakem.net/) that involves
>> networking.  I have to do a lot of decoding of network data into an
>> internal representation, and encoding internal representations into a
>> network format.
>>
>> The decoding part is going to present a problem, a problem that could
>> easily be solved by continuations.

You could write your implementation of the network protocol using
asyncore (medusa), Twisted, and/or PEAK... all of which are good at
asynchronous "stuff" to varying degrees.  PEAK has a bunch of new
things that make it easy to write asynchronous-acting but
synchronous-looking code using generators, these may only be in CVS
though.

>> Anyway, I'm not a Python developer, just a user.  I just wanted to add
>> this to the things you consider when you decide what you intend to do
>> next with Python.  Continuations are important, and AFAIK, the
>> stackless
>> mod is the only way to get them.

I agree, but good luck convincing everyone that it's important enough
to merge the fork (it's a fork of Python, not a module).  BTW,
Christian says the 2.3 branch of Stackless is pretty close to ready.

-bob