[Python-Dev] PEP 326 (quick location possibility)

Josiah Carlson jcarlson at uci.edu
Wed Jan 28 02:05:21 EST 2004

Dear python-dev,

I took a pass through the archives of January, just to get an actual
number on what people think of the ideas in the PEP.  At the end of this
email is a listing in +/- 1/0 format (FYI, I'm not counting myself in
these), using only the latest +/- 1/0 comments from publicly posted
emails to either python-dev or c.l.py.

The 4 that are against (-1) the PEP being included with Python or in the
standard library, are /developers of/ Python.

The 12 that are in favor (+1) of the PEP being included with Python or
in the standard library, are /users of/ Python.

I'll not attempt to analyze the reasons behind this split in opinion, for
various reasons.  I will state that the liklihood of it being accepted,
with such strong core developer dislike for the PEP, is likely
represented by some low probability that is arbitrarily close to 0, but
not 'None', not 'not None', perhaps 'not not None', but not any other
such foolishness (come on, it's a joke, laugh).

If there is a core Python developer who thinks that this functionality
should be included with Python (accessable via some method on a builtin,
name, attribute, etc.), I'm sure we'd like to hear from you.

If there does not exist a core Python developer who thinks that this
functionality should be included with Python, I'll spend the next few
days (maybe a week), updating the PEP, include some final words, and
include a reasonably* named pair of objects in a reasonably named
module for people to use if they want to.  At some point in the future,
if there exists support from the user community, we could discuss its
inclusion/exclusion in the standard library.

I hope this is reasonable to everyone with an opinion on PEP 326.  Thank
you for all the feedback, criticisms, and suggestions,
 - Josiah

Feelings on inclusion into Python or the standard library somewhere
(name of objects and location preferences vary, if I mistook your
opinion, my apologies, etc.)
+1:
Terry J. Reedy
Andrew P. Lentvorski, Jr.
David Eppstein
Bob Ippolito
Evan Simpson
Andrew Koenig
Gary Robinson		(from c.l.py)
John Roth		(from c.l.py)
A. Lloyd Flanagan	(from c.l.py)
Jeremy Fincher		(from c.l.py)
Andrew Koenig		(from c.l.py)
Erik Max Francis	(from c.l.py)

+0
John Hazen
Robert Brewer
Michael Chermside

0
Phillip J. Eby

-0
Gerrit Holl

-1
Guido van Rossum
Gustavo Niemeyer
Jeremy Hylton
Raymond Hettinger

* Reasonable means arbitrary but meaningful, likely the result of
choosing the most positively voted for in comments from people in
python-dev and c.l.py.