[Python-Dev] Would GPL on python-mode.el be a problem?

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Wed Jan 28 11:22:06 EST 2004

Not too long ago, Matthias Klose submitted an enormous patch (1370 lines) to
python-mode.el (only 3804 lines itself):

    https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=875596&group_id=86916&atid=581351

I decided to start disecting it today and immediately ran into this comment
by Dave Love (fx at gnu.org):

    ;; This file contains significant bits of GPL'd code, so it must be
    ;; under the GPL.  -- fx

During the python-mode project's short life, I've copied python-mode.el over
to the Python project's Misc directory a few times.  I thought I'd better
ask if GPL-ness would present a problem.  I have always remained blissfully
unaware of licensing details, so I have no grasp of what the ramifications
are.

Thx,

Skip