[Python-Dev] VC 7.1 maintenance?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Jul 1 23:41:37 CEST 2004

Thomas Heller wrote:
> I was asking because I'm not sure if there will be problems with Windows
> file system protection with non-MSI installers.

There is nothing inherent in Windows Installer that competing technology
couldn't provide. Microsoft has documented the procedures for
manipulating protected files, so competing installer can integrate the
necessary changes. Whether Inno Setup supports protected files, I don't
know. Nor do I know whether Inno Setup properly deals with file versions
for files that are not protected, or with any other of the Windows
mechanisms necessary for software installation.

Regards,
Martin