[Python-Dev] VC 7.1 maintenance? [getting OT]

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Sat Jul 3 21:24:22 CEST 2004

[John J Lee]
> Why do you find system restore points useless?

Tautologically, because I have yet to see a case where they were of real use.

> Aren't they convenient, when they work?

If they worked, I suppose they could be.

> (as long as you regard it as a convenience, not a proper backup)

GoBack is useful and convenient, because it can undo all changes on
disk.  In that respect, it's as good as (but much faster and easier
than) a full disaster-recovery restoration.  System Restore undoes a
vague subset of changes.  If, e.g., a rogue installation damages data
files, System Restore undoes parts of the installation, but leaves the
data files damaged.  It's good that System Restore (and other
gimmicks) protect OS-critical executables and the registry, and that's
better than nothing -- especially if all you run is the OS <wink>.