[Python-Dev] Why is Bytecode the way it is?

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Thu Jul 8 11:57:40 CEST 2004

Paul Prescod <paul at prescod.net> writes:

> So I gave a tutorial last night on Python's implementation. I had a
> pretty clear idea of the parser, compiler, AST branch etc. But the
> bytecodes were fuzzy. For instance:
>
>  >>> def foo(a):
> ...     b = a + 5
> ...     return b
>  >>> dis.dis(foo)
>    2           0 LOAD_FAST                0 (a)
>                3 LOAD_CONST               1 (5)
>                6 BINARY_ADD
>                7 STORE_FAST               1 (b)
>
>    3          10 LOAD_FAST                1 (b)
>               13 RETURN_VALUE
>               14 LOAD_CONST               0 (None)
>               17 RETURN_VALUE
>
> Why does the RETURN_VALUE opcode have to return something from the
> stack? Why not have a RETURN_VAR opcode that would directly return a
> variable or constant? (a leading bit could indicate whether to look in
> the const or var tuple).

Well, you'd have to have RETURN_VAR *as well* as RETURN_VALUE, or in
code like

    return a + b

you'd have to create a temporary variable and store to it.

We have a limit of 256 opcodes...

> Similarly, what if BINARY_ADD could work directly on constants and
> variables? I see the virtue of using the stack for objects that do not
> otherwise have a name. But if a value is in a contant or variable, why
> not refer to it by its position in co_consts or co_varnames.

How would you implement this?  Give BINARY_ADD two arguments
(something no bytecode has now, btw) and treat '-1' as 'pop from the
stack'?  This sounds obfuscatory.

> And as long as we are talking about referring to things more directly,
> wouldn't it be possible to refer to constants by pointer rather than
> indirecting through the index? You'd have to fix up pointers when you
> first loaded the code but only once per function.

Could do.  Opcode arguments are only 16 bits though, unless you use
the EXTENDED_ARG thingy, and then they're only 32 bits: what about 64
bit platforms?

Python's VM is currently a stack machine.  There are arguments for
making it a register machine, but if we want to do that, lets go the
whole hog and not have some kind of half-assed hybrid.

Cheers,
mwh

--
81. In computing, turning the obvious into the useful is a living
    definition of the word "frustration".