[Python-Dev] bdist_wininst

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 03:29:42 CEST 2004

[Thomas Heller]
> Second, the default bitmap it displays is the old Python Powered logo by
> Just (that with the cool license ;-).  A much better bitmap would be
> that from <http://tinyurl.com/595xd>, which seems to have been made for
> the PSF.  There are two problems with this image: The size is 122x261
> pixels, while bdist_wininst would prefer 152x261 pixels.  Maybe someone
> can recreate the icon with a changed size?
> The file size, when it is converted to 24-bit color bmp, is
> nearly 100 kB, which is a bit large imo for an optical gimmik - but this
> can probably be fixed by compressing the image in the installer itself.
> Finally, I'm not sure I'm allowed to use and redistribute this image.

That looks like a minor variant of the graphic Erik van Blokland-- a
colleague of Just's --created for Python's Wise installer.  Erik asked
for an acknowledgement  in return for the work, and that's why the
Wise installer displayed this on its last (Installation Complete)
screen:

Special Windows thanks to:

    Wise Solutions, for the use of InstallMaster 8.1.
        http://www.wisesolutions.com/

    LettError, Erik van Blokland, for the Python for Windows graphic.
        http://www.letterror.com/

    Mark Hammond, without whose years of freely shared Windows expertise,
    Python for Windows would still be Python for DOS.

So ask Just about this.  I don't have a current email address for Erik.

OTOH, the Python-Powered logo is quite recognizable now, and it's fine
by me if bsdist_wininst just leaves this alone!

> Third, the installer executable doesn't have an icon.  Personally I
> don't care too much about that, but Phil Hornby made two icons which he
> posted to the distutils list (the gmane archives do a nice job to show
> the icons on the web page):
>
> <http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.distutils.devel/852>
> <http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.distutils.devel/855>

For me, those both show little boxes with a red X, i.e. the image
couldn't be loaded.  Or maybe that's what they're supposed to look
like <wink>.