[Python-Dev] VC 7.1 maintenance?

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Sat Jun 26 11:37:48 EDT 2004

[Phil Thompson]
> Actually, it's simpler than that. From the GPL FAQ:
>
> "I'm writing a Windows application with Microsoft Visual C++ (or Visual Basic)
> and I will be releasing it under the GPL.  Is dynamically linking my program
> with the Visual C++ (or Visual Basic) run-time library permitted under the
> GPL?
>
> Yes, because that run-time library normally accompanies the compiler
> or interpreter you are using."
>
> My (incorrect) understanding was that "operating system" was meant rather than
> "compiler or interpreter".

Heh.  That's what I meant by

    Regardless of internal consistency, I expect they'll develop a
rationale for saying
   "sure, fine".

I quoted the relevant part of the GPL verbatim before, and it does
indeed say specifically and only "operating system".  This is why you
have to ask the FSF directly about what they mean:  since the meaning
of the GPL has never been clarified via court rulings, in practice it
means whatever the FSF says it means, and that can't always be
predicted from what the GPL actually says.