[Python-Dev] PEP 309 re-written

Peter Harris scav at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Mar 1 17:09:41 EST 2004

Hi

The latest version of PEP 309 has been published in the usual place. I
hope much of the woollyness (sp?) of the early versions has been sheared
off, leaving more ..um..
[metaphor panic!] .. mutton?

I have settled on calling the whole thing "partial function
application", broadly including
object methods, classes and other callable objects.  I want to name the
constructor partial(),
because that name will do for now and doesn't do violence to accepted
terminology the way
curry() or closure() would.

I really want to keep the name the same from now until the PEP is ready
for review: this little proposal doesn't deserve as many name changes as
the Mozilla project after all.

Not sure what sort of feedback the PEP needs before review, so I'm open
to any comments about the wording of the proposal and the usefulness or
otherwise of its intent.

If anyone can think of any really elegant hacks that are naturally
expressed by partial function application I'd like to see them, and with
permission add them to the PEP.  I feel that it's more likely to get
accepted if there is a better example than my cheesy Tkinter callbacks!

Peter Harris