[Python-Dev] Python 2.3.4 schedule

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Tue May 4 13:47:28 EDT 2004

[Anthony Baxter]
> My plan is to cut a release candidate for 2.3.4 next
> Thursday (13th April) Australian time (so Wednesday night
                 ^^May in North America <wink>
> for the merkins), and a release the following Thursday
> (the 20th).
>
> Can we say that the 2.3 branch is frozen from Tuesday? As
> this is likely to be the final 2.3 release (modulo any
> suprising new bugs), I'd like the time to try and nail
> this one.

I tried to ask about 2.3.4 plans earlier here today, but because I used a
different account to mail to python-dev, it's still sitting in a moderator
queue.  The same msg can be found here:

    http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope-dev/2004-May/022838.html

Short course is that a serious bug with threads on Linux was reported almost
a year ago, against Python 2.2.2:

    http://www.python.org/sf/756924

but wasn't properly diagnosed before last night (by Andrew Langmead; he
added his diagnosis to the Python bug report today).

I know this affects the OP, and affects Zope on Linux systems using
LinuxThreads (but not those using NPTL).  I don't know whether anyone is
actively pursuing a workaround.  If someone is, or if a LinuxHead on
python-dev wants to, I think it's important to squash this bug in 2.3.4.

I don't have any other 2.3.4 issues in mind.