[Python-Dev] Python 2.4, MS .NET 1.1 and distutils

Peter Astrand astrand at lysator.liu.se
Sat Nov 27 17:09:05 CET 2004

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004, "Martin v. Löwis" wrote:

> M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> > Now since extensions for 2.4 will have to be built using the
> > same compiler as Python itself (the one that comes with VC7.1
> > which is the same as the one in the freely downloadable
> > .NET 1.1 SDK)
>
> My understanding is that these are not exactly the same compilers;
> I recall that the freely-redistributable one lacks support for
> optimization.

On the contrary: The commercial, boxed "Visual Studio .NET 2003 Standard"
lacks support for optimization, but the free "Visual C++ Toolkit 2003" can
optimize. It is possible to use the free, optimizing compiler with Visual
Studio .NET 2003 Standard, though: See
http://www.sawtoothdistortion.com/Articles/FreeOptimizingCompiler.html

/Peter Åstrand <astrand at lysator.liu.se>