[Python-Dev] Re: Toward Python's future article

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Fri Oct 8 22:13:06 CEST 2004

daniel narf wrote:
> i know there are a lot of volunters,fans,developers who are very actively
> developing/improving the library but the main point of the argument(i
> think),is to realy focus on the stdlib improvements,not implying that the
> interpreter improvements are less important,just that the stdlib is
> currently lacking a bit in certain aspects already mentioned,to try to
> balance the ecosystem.

As I said in a comment to Andrew's piece - the _best_ way is to pick up
a piece of the stdlib that annoys you, and fix it.

Attempting to setup a roadmap, or a plan, or whatever, will only mean
that nothing ever gets done. For instance, look at the long and sorry
history before PyPI. Many, many attempts to do some big picture thing,
and no result. What we have now isn't perfect, but it's a start. And
it was accomplished by one person (Richard) getting annoyed enough to
just roll up the sleeves and do it.

Anthony