[Python-Dev] Re: subprocess - updated popen5 module

Jason Lunz lunz at falooley.org
Sat Oct 9 15:28:29 CEST 2004

astrand at lysator.liu.se said:
> I'd prefer not to rename the call() function. The name is short and
> simple, and the function is very much used.

That's understandable. Though if people are going to go through the
pain of changing it, it's better that it happen before it becomes a
standard part of python.

> I'm positive to renaming the callv() function, though. One obvious
> name would be "calll", but that's quite ugly. How about "lcall"? Then
> we can keep the "callv" name for backwards compatibility.

How recently was callv added? I'd prefer not to have a callv at all than
to have a call/callv pair that don't map naturally to execl/execv.

> Or, we could just keep the "callv" name, and pretend that "v" stands for
> "variable number of arguments".

I really don't want to do this. I can tell already I'll be forever
forgetting which one I need, and probably anyone else with C/unix
experience will be in the same boat. It's the kind of irritant I'd like
to wipe out now while there's still the opportunity.

Jason