[Python-Dev] Struct module format code addition (previously was in the subprocess thread)

Josiah Carlson jcarlson at uci.edu
Tue Oct 12 09:00:48 CEST 2004

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> Josiah Carlson wrote:
> > A pronouncement would be nice, but I understand that I am in no position
> > to ask/beg for a (yes, we'll add it) response. <.5 wink>
>
> Well, I can declare, in public :-), that I personally won't add that
> feature to Python 2.4.

Scratch chin.  Then I suppose it is a good thing that you aren't the
only person with commit access then <full wink and a nose wiggle>.

> There are so many other things to do, and I
> don't consider this feature (in whatever form) important, as this
> can be easily done in pure Python for those who need it.

The same thing can be said for some syntactic changes to Python over the
years; yet that didn't stop list comprehensions, rich comparisons,
iterators (generators being the language change that made them easier),
etc., from changing the language.

I'm not even asking to change the language, I'm offering a patch that
implements a functionality desireable to a group of users by making a
module more flexible.

Since Tim has said that the change is so minor as to be all right to
wait until after the beta, I'll keep out of everyone's hair until then.

 - Josiah