[Python-Dev] Re: python/dist/src/Lib subprocess.py,NONE,1.1

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Wed Oct 13 14:01:49 CEST 2004

"Fredrik Lundh" <fredrik at pythonware.com> writes:

> Thomas Heller wrote:
>
>> To be honest, I'm against code in the core that depends on whether
>> pywin32 is installed or not.
>
>>> does py2exe support "if 0" blocks?
>>
>> py2exe uses modulefinder to scan the byte code of compiled modules, and
>> Python doesn't generate code for 'if 0' blocks, so, yes.
>
> just one more question: is there a specific problem with win32all?  if this
> is a general problem, how do you deal with other optional modules in the
> standard library (e.g. _xmlrpclib) ?

If _xmlrpclib is installed, py2exe will find it if the script uses
xmlrpclib.  I guess that is what the user expects.  If _xmlrpclib is not
installed, py2exe will warn that it is missing (this warning is probably
not very useful, and it seems Bob has supressed this warning in py2app).

The point with win32all (now pywin32) is that most windows users will
have it installed, for good reasons.  py2exe will find it, and include
it if the subprocess module is pulled in - whether _subprocess is
available or not.  But subprocess, the Python 2.4 version, will *never*
use it, because _subprocess is always available (isn't this now even a
builtin module, in python24.dll?).

Hope that answers your question,

Thomas