[Python-Dev] SQLite module for Python 2.5

Gerhard Haering gh at ghaering.de
Thu Oct 21 11:41:30 CEST 2004

On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 11:26:12AM +0200, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> Gerhard Haering wrote:
> >My point is to include a usable DB-API 2.0 implementation that people
> >can use as a starting point when developing applications that need a
> >relational database. Other languages do the same btw. Java (win32?)
> >includes a JDBC driver or ODBC, and PHP5 includes a SQLite module.
> [...]
> If you are just after a "usable database driver", then I have to
> agree with Skip: any of the other available drivers would fit in
> just as well. Please clarify this.

I'm aiming at a usable DB-API implementation in the stdlib that does
not need a server. I want Python to have an RDBMS interface that works
OOTB, no administration required. SQLite seems the obvious choice to
me, haven't looked at Gadfly in a while, and MySQLdb/MySQL embedded
(GPL) has licensing issues (and adds megabytes to the Python binary
download, instead of ca. 270 kB uncompressed as for SQLite).

-- Gerhard