[Python-Dev] SQLite module for Python 2.5

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Thu Oct 21 14:34:28 CEST 2004

On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 10:16:01AM +0200, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> Maybe we should have this discussion on more general grounds:
> do we really want a fat Python distribution or should we focus
> more on making installation of third-party tools easier ?

I keep casting glances at PEP 206
(http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0206.html), Moshe's "Batteries
Included" PEP, and thinking it should be updated.  PEP 206 suggests
something quite simple, a script that downloads a bunch of listed
packages and added them to the Python core to make a "sumo
distribution".

The core once included an Extensions/ subdirectory for things that
were automatically built as part of Python's build process.  Perhaps
we could add some extensibility -- e.g. Python's setup.py will
automatically check for subdirectories in Extensions/ and run their
setup.py scripts.

--amk