[Web-SIG] Re: [Python-Dev] Adding status code constants to httplib

Alan Kennedy py-web-sig at xhaus.com
Fri Sep 10 17:45:35 CEST 2004

[Phillip J. Eby]
>> I would also put the statuses in a dictionary, such that:
>>
>>     status_code[BAD_GATEWAY] = "Bad Gateway"

[Andrew Eland]
> There's a table mapping status codes to messages on
> BaseHTTPRequestHandler at the moment. It could be moved into httplib to
> make it more publically visible.

And that mapping has 2 levels of human readable messages on it, for example

304: ('Not modified', 'Document has not changed singe given time'),

I think that, since the human readable versions are seldom heeded
anyway, perhaps a single message is all we need?

And I'm -1 on forcing servers, particularly CGI servers, to import the
client-side httplib (2.3 httplib.pyc == 42K) just to get this mapping.

If the changes are not going to make it in until the next release of
cpython anyway, then maybe we should just aim for a new module? Or is
some version of 2.4 the target, in which case minimal patches might make
it in, whereas new modules won't?

Just my 0,02 euro.

Alan.