[Python-Dev] Planning to drop gzip compression for future releases.

Clark C. Evans cce at clarkevans.com
Tue Sep 21 17:58:00 CEST 2004

Fred,

>From what I understand, the algorithmic behavior of bz2 and gz are
completely different -- while gzip is incremental, bz2 requires
memory proportional to the size of the source information.
Furthermore, most browsers now support gzip compression for their
web pages, it will quite some time before bz2 support is ubiquitous.
Unless these two issues are different than I understand them, I'd
prefer if gzip remain in the standard Python distribution.

Best,

Clark