[Python-Dev] shadow password module (spwd) is never built due to error in setup.py

Irmen de Jong irmen at xs4all.nl
Fri Apr 15 03:17:53 CEST 2005

Hello,

A modification was made in setup.py, cvs rel 1.213
(see diff here:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/python/python/dist/src/setup.py?r1=1.212&r2=1.213
)
which appears to be wrong. At least, on my system,
the spwd module is never built anymore, because the
if statement is never true.

Actually, the sysconfig doesn't contain *any* of the HAVE_XXXX vars
that occur in pyconfig.h (I checked by printing all vars).

I don't really understand the distutils magic that is done
in setup.py, but it appears to me that either the if statement
is wrong (because the vars never exist) or distutils does something
wrong by leaving out all HAVE_XXX vars from pyconfig.h.

Please advise?
I want my spwd module back ;-)

--Irmen de Jong

PS
I checked that pyconfig.h correctly #defines both HAVE_GETSPNAM
and HAVE_GETSPENT to 1 on my system (Mandrake linux 10.1), so
the rest of the configure script runs fine (it should, I created
the original patches for it... see SF patch # 579435)