[Python-Dev] Re: switch statement

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Apr 20 23:40:25 CEST 2005

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> PS. a side effect of the for-in pattern is that I'm beginning to feel
> that Python
> might need a nice "switch" statement based on dictionary lookups, so I can
> replace multiple callbacks with a single loop body, without writing too
> many
> if/elif clauses.

PEP 275 anyone ? (http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0275.html)

My use case for switch is that of a parser switching on tokens.

mxTextTools applications would greatly benefit from being able
to branch on tokens quickly. Currently, there's only callbacks,
dict-to-method branching or long if-elif-elif-...-elif-else.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Apr 20 2005)