[Python-Dev] Extension of struct to handle non byte aligned values?

George V. Neville-Neil gnn at neville-neil.com
Mon Aug 1 02:33:37 CEST 2005

Hi,

I'm attempting to write a Packet class, and a few other classes for
use in writing protocol conformance tests.  For the most part this is
going well except that I'd like to be able to pack and unpack byte
strings with values that are not 8 bit based quantities.  As an
example, I'd like to be able to grab just a single bit from a byte
string, and I'd also like to modify, for example, 13 bits.  These are
all reasonable quantities in an IPv4 packet.  I have looked at doing
this all in Python within my own classes but I believe this is a
general extension that would be good for the struct module.  I could
also write a new module, bitstruct, to do this but that seems silly.
I did not find anything out there that handles this case, so if I
missed that then please let me know.

My proposal would be for a new format character, 'z', which is
followed by a position in bits from 0 to 31 so that we get either a
byte, halfword, or longword based byte string back and then an
optional 'r' (for run length, and because 'l' and 's' are already
used) followed by a number of bits.  The default length is 1 bit.  I
believe this is sufficient for most packet protocols I know of
because, for the most part, protocols try to be 32 or 64bit aligned.
This would ALWAYS unpack into an int type.  So, you would see this:

bytestring = pack("z0r3z3r13", flags, fragment)

this would pack the flags and fragment offset in a packet at bits 0-3
and 3-13 respectively and return a 2 byte byte-string.

header_length = unpack("z4r4", packet.bytes)

would retrieve the header length from the packet, which is from bits 4
through 8.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
George