[Python-Dev] Proposed additional keyword argument in logging calls

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Dec 2 20:40:09 CET 2005

Thomas Heller <theller <at> python.net> writes:
> > by the logging package itself:
> >
> > name            Name of the logger
> > levelno         Numeric logging level for the message (DEBUG, INFO,
> >                 WARNING, ERROR, CRITICAL)
> [and so on].
>
> Shouldn't this list be documented?  Or is it?

The list of values which can be used in format strings is:

http://docs.python.org/lib/node357.html

The list of internal values is not (e.g. msg, args, exc_text) and I suppose the
documentation could be updated to include them, but they're implementation
details so I don't really want to encourage changing them. If you need to, it's
easy enough to pick up the info from the source code for LogRecord.__init__(),
which does all the setup.

Regards,

Vinay Sajip