[Python-Dev] Tracker anonymity

skip@pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Wed Dec 7 15:50:02 CET 2005

    >> Any thoughts about maybe relaxing the login restriction?

    Nick> If the submitter is anonymous, not only can we not follow up with
    Nick> any questions, neither does the submitter get notified of status
    Nick> changes on their tracker.

You're preaching to the choir.  I'm made the same argument over and over on
c.l.py, but there is a vocal minority there that believes the current state
of affairs is a barrier that prevents submissions.  Here's my latest post on
that topic explaining all the reasons why the way we do it today is the best
we can do -- for now at least.

  http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2005-December/314298.html

    Nick> Can we put a warning on the anonymous submission page pointing out
    Nick> the problems with using it for non-trivial bug reports?

I don't think we have any control over the boilerplate SF displays.

My biggest frustration is that SF doesn't support tracker interaction via
email.  That would present its own set of problems (think spam & virii), but
seems like it ought to lower the barrier to submission a bit.

Skip