[Python-Dev] Documentation about Python's GC, python-dev list messages referenced in Modules/gcmodule.c not reachable anymore

Weber, Gregoire gregoire.weber at schmid-telecom.ch
Tue Dec 6 11:20:46 CET 2005

Hi All,
Hi Neil,

While searching documentation about Pythons GC and it's behaviour I
found references to the python-dev list in ``Modules/gcmodule.c``.

But unfortunately the links to the list do not work anymore. May someone
give me a hint how to find the messages (2. to 4. below).

Is the article (Link 1. below) up to date or were there major changes in
the GC strategies since year 2000?

http://svn.python.org/projects/python/trunk/Modules/gcmodule.c

  1. http://www.arctrix.com/nas/python/gc/
  2. http://www.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2000-March/003869.html
  3. http://www.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2000-March/004010.html
  4. http://www.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2000-March/004022.html

Background Info:

We're seriously evaluating Python for use in embedded realtime systems
and need some informations about Pythons garbage collector.

What we're interested mostly in the runtime behaviour of the GC. The
main question is:

  Does it interrupt the python interpreter to collect stuff or
  is collecting done more in the background (e.g. just incrementally
  collecting)? This is an important question for realtime systems with
  well defined reaction times.

Just point me to documentation if available.

Gregoire