[Python-Dev] should I really have to install Python before Icanbuild it ?

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Mon Dec 12 22:54:52 CET 2005

Hi Fredrik,

On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 10:23:27PM +0100, Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> $(AST_H) $(AST_C): $(AST_ASDL) $(ASDLGEN_FILES)
>         -$(PYTHON) $(ASDLGEN) $(AST_ASDL)

I suppose that the trick is in the "-" sign here.  If this command fails
for any reason you get warnings and errors but the build still continues
with the current version of the .h/.c files, and we are left with
telling users "no no, ignore this build error, everything is fine".

The same just-ignore-it behavior can bite if the script genuinely fails
after you just made a typo in one of the input files, for example.
Doesn't look particularly clean to me, if you want my opinion.

A bientot,

Armin