[Python-Dev] status of development documentation

A.M. Kuchling amk at amk.ca
Wed Dec 21 20:37:05 CET 2005

On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 05:10:24PM +0100, Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> (as I hinted, I'd prefer HTML with microformat annotations as the
> main format; with roundtripping to markdown or rest (etc) for people
> who prefer to author in that, and tidy->xhtml->python tools for the
> HTML generation)

I don't see how HTML can be used to support printed versions of the
docs (e.g. PostScript, PDF).  Even if you generated one big HTML file
instead of a zillion section-by-section files, web browsers are
terrible at printing.  I don't know how you could get a table of
contents that refers you to the actual pages, for example.  Are there
any HTML-to-print converters that are better?

reST is a possibility, though I don't think anyone has worked on
building the required toolchain.  Fred has a LaTeX-to-XML-format
converter kicking around somewhere, but the toolchain has never gotten
good enough to permit making that final transition.

--amk