[Python-Dev] Next PyPy Sprint: Palma de Mallorca (Spain) 23rd - 29th January 2006

Samuele Pedroni pedronis at strakt.com
Thu Dec 22 02:24:46 CET 2005

Palma de Mallorca  PyPy Sprint: 23rd - 29th January 2006

The next PyPy sprint is scheduled to take place January 2006 in

Palma De Mallorca, Balearic Isles, Spain. We'll give newcomer-friendly

introductions and the focus will mainly be on current JIT work, garbage

collection, alternative threading models, logic programming and on

improving the interface with external functions. To learn more about the

new Python-in-Python implementation look here:

     http://codespeak.net/pypy

Goals and topics of the sprint

------------------------------

In Gothenburg we have made some first forays into the interesting topics

of Just-in-Time compilation. In Mallorca we will continue that

and have the following ideas:

   - Further work/experimentation toward Just-In-Time Compiler generation,

     which was initiated with the Abstract Interpreter started in
Gothenburg.

   - Integrating our garbage collection toolkit with the backends and the

     code generation.

   - Heading into the direction of adding logic programming to PyPy.

   - Optimization work: our threading implementation is still incredibly

     slow, we need to work on that. Furthermore there are still quite

     some slow places in the interpreter that could be improved.

   - getting the socket module to a more complete state (it is

     already improved but still far from complete)

   - generally improving the way we interface with external functions.

   - whatever participants want to do with PyPy (please send

     suggestions to the mailing list before to allow us to plan

     and give feedback)

Location & Accomodation

------------------------

The sprint will be held at the Palma University (UIB - Universitat de

les Illes Balears), in their GNU/Linux lab

(http://mnm.uib.es/phpwiki/AulaLinux).  We are hosted by the Computer

Science department and Ricardo Galli is our contact person there,

helping with arranging facilities.

The University is located 7 km away from the central Palma. Busses to

the University departs from "Plaza de España" (which is a very central

location in Palma). Take bus 19 to the UIB campus.  A ticket for one

urban trip costs 1 euro. You can also buy a card that is valid for 10

trips and costs 7.51 euros.  Information about bus timetables and routes

can be found on:

     http://www.a-palma.es

A map over the UIB campus are can be found on:

     http://www.uib.es/imagenes/planoCampus.html

The actual address is: 3r pis de l'Anselm Turmeda which can be found on

the UIB Campus map.

At "Plaza de España" there is a hostel (Hostal Residencia Terminus)

which has been recommended to us. It's cheap (ca 50 euros/double room

with bathroom). Some more links to accomodations (flats, student homes

and hotels):

http://www.lodging-in-spain.com/hotel/town/Islas_Baleares,Mallorca,Palma_de_Mallorca,1/

http://www.uib.es/fuguib/residencia/english/index.html

http://www.homelidays.com/EN-Holidays-Rental/110_Search/SearchList.asp?DESTINATION=Palma%20de%20Mallorca&ADR_PAYS=ES&ADR_

LOCALISATION=ES%20ISLASBALEARES%20MALLORCA

If you want to find a given street, you can search here:

     http://www.callejeando.com/Pueblos/pueblo7_1.htm

To get to Palma De Mallorca almost all low fare airlines and travel

agencies have cheap tickets to get there. Information about Mallorca and

Palma (maps, tourist information, local transports, recommended air

lines, ferries and much more) can be found on:

     http://www.palmademallorca.es/portalPalma/home.jsp

Comments on the weather: In January it is cold and wet on Mallorca

Average temperature: 8,4 degrees Celsius

Lowest temperature: 2 degrees Celsius

Highest temperature: 14,5 degrees Celsius

Average humidity rate: 77,6 %

So more time for coding and less time for sunbathing and beaches ;-)

Exact times

-----------

The public PyPy sprint is held Monday 23rd - Sunday 29th January 2006.

Hours will be from 10:00 until people have had enough.  It's a good idea

to arrive a day before the sprint starts and leave a day later.  In the

middle of the sprint there usually is a break day and it's usually ok to

take half-days off if you feel like it.

For this particular break day, Thursday, we are invited to the studio of

Ginés Quiñonero, a local artist and painter. Ginés have also been the

person helping us getting connections to UIB and providing much

appreciated help regarding accommodation and other logistical

information.

For those of you interested - here is his website where there also are

paintings showing his studio:

     http://www.hermetex4.com/damnans/

For those interested in playing collectable card games, this will also

be an opportunity to get aquainted with V:TES which will be demoed by

Ginés and Beatrice and Sten Düring. For more information on this

cardgame - see: http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/index.php.  (The Mallorca

sprint was organized through contacts within the V:TES community).

Network, Food, currency

------------------------

Currency is Euro.

Food is available in the UIB Campus area as well as cheap restaurants in

Palma.

You normally need a wireless network card to access the network, but we

can provide a wireless/ethernet bridge.

230V AC plugs are used in Mallorca.

Registration etc.pp.

and post a note that you want to come.  Feel free to ask any questions

there!  There also is a separate `Mallorca people`_ page tracking who is

already thought to come.  If you have commit rights on codespeak then

you can modify yourself a checkout of

http://codespeak.net/svn/pypy/extradoc/sprintinfo/mallorca-2006/people.txt

.. _`PyPy sprint mailing list`: