[Python-Dev] status of development documentation

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Thu Dec 22 09:31:42 CET 2005

Torsten Bronger wrote:

> > [...]  Are there any HTML-to-print converters that are better?
>
> I don't understand exactly how the HTML is to be used for Python but
> I assume that not everything could be done via CSS, so own
> converters will be necessary for perfect output.

If done right, it should be possible to get a "usable" rendering from the raw
HTML+microformat file, but a real online version would of course need some
preprocessing (e.g basic templating and navigation fixup).  Not more than
you could do on the fly, or in a simple cgi script...

For publication work, you need more preprocessing, of course (but I'm not
sure the typical python user cares much about the subtle differences be-
tween latex and openoffice/word formatting...)

> I was disappointed with its rather small semantic vocabulary.

I sometimes doubt that the rest proponents understand the phrase "semantic
vocabulary".  They do sound a lot like Perl proponents, though...

(and strangely enough, there seems to be an almost perfect inverse relation-
ship between the ReST zealousness and the amount of text and code they
have contributed to the core distribution.  oh well.)

</F>