[Python-Dev] suggestion for smarter garbage collection in function of size (gc.set_collect_mem_growth(2))

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Dec 28 15:32:29 CET 2005

Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> To implement this we need two hooks, in the malloc and free that
> allocate python objects. Then we have to store the minimum of this
> value (i.e. the last minimum of memory allocated by the interpreter).

I would like to underline Aahz' comment: it is unlikely that anything
will happen about this unless you make it happen. This specific problem
is not frequent, and the current strategy (collect if 1000 new objects
are allocated) works fine for most people. So if you want a change,
you should really consider comming up with a patch yourself. Bonus
points if the code integrates with the current strategies, instead
of replacing them.

Regards,
Martin