[Python-Dev] Python + Visual C++ 8.0?

Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve rwgk at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 28 23:58:28 CET 2005

--- "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> P.P.S. You do know that this configuration (extension compiled
> with VS2005, Python compiled wit VS.NET2003) is not supported,
> right?

Thanks to Adal's help I got all our C++ extensions (about 50) to work with VC8.
I am using Python 2.4.2 compiled with VC7.1. We have more than 150 unit tests
which all pass. Our applications also work under Windows 2000 even if the
platform has never seen any Visual Studio installation. Also, in over two years
I never had problems mixing VC6 Python with VC7.1 extensions; our binary
installers worked on any Windows 2000 or XP system I've ever tried. Since we
are using Boost.Python, I believe we are heavily exercising the compiler, the
C/C++ libraries, and the DLL machinery. However, we don't have any home-grown
C++ GUI code. Could it be that problems due to mixing objects from different
compiler versions are restricted to certain areas, like GUI libraries?

Cheers,
        Ralf