[Python-Dev] Naming conventions in Py3K

Ka-Ping Yee python-dev at zesty.ca
Fri Dec 30 05:29:21 CET 2005

In a fair number of cases, Python doesn't follow its own recommended
naming conventions.  Changing these things would break backward
compatibility, so they are out of the question for Python 2.*, but
it would be nice to keep these in mind for Python 3K.

    Constants in all caps:
        NONE, TRUE, FALSE, ELLIPSIS

    Classes in initial-caps:
        Object, Int, Float, Str, Unicode, Set, List, Tuple, Dict,
        and lots of classes in the standard library, e.g.
        anydbm.error, csv.excel, imaplib.error, mutex.mutex...

I know these probably look a little funny now to most of us, as
we're used to looking at today's Python (they even look a little
funny to me) but i'm pretty convinced that consistency will be
better in the long run.

-- ?!ng