[Python-Dev] Re: license issues with profiler.py and md5.h/md5c.c

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Sun Feb 13 00:24:27 CET 2005

David Ascher wrote:

> FWIW, I agree.  Personnally, I think that if Debian has a problem with
> the above, it's their problem to deal with, not Python's.

The OSI may also have a problem with the license if they were to be made
aware of it.

See section 8 of the Open Source Definition:

"""8. License Must Not Be Specific to a Product

The rights attached to the program must not depend on the program's
being part of a particular software distribution. If the program is
extracted from that distribution and used or distributed within the
terms of the program's license, all parties to whom the program is
redistributed should have the same rights as those that are granted in
conjunction with the original software distribution.
"""

I'm not entirely sure if this affects the PSF's use of OSI's trademark.

IANAL. TINLA.

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu