[Python-Dev] [C++-sig] GCC version compatibility

Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve rwgk at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 8 23:40:00 CEST 2005

--- David Abrahams <dave at boost-consulting.com> wrote:
> Yes, all the tests are passing that way.
>
> > (On ELF based Linux/x86, at least.) That leaves me wondering
> >
> >  * when is --with-cxx really necessary?
>
> I think it's plausible that if you set sys.dlopenflags to share
> symbols it *might* end up being necessary, but IIRC Ralf does use
> sys.dlopenflags with a standard build of Python (no
> --with-cxx)... right, Ralf?

Yes, I am using sys.setdlopenflags like this:

  if (sys.platform == "linux2"):
    sys.setdlopenflags(0x100|0x2)

/usr/include/bits/dlfcn.h:#define RTLD_GLOBAL      0x00100
/usr/include/bits/dlfcn.h:#define RTLD_NOW 0x00002

Note that the default Python 2.4.1 installation links python with g++. I've
never had any problems with this configuration under any Linux version, at
least: Redhat 7.3, 8.0, 9.0, WS3, SuSE 9.2, Fedora Core 3, and some other
versions I am not sure about.

Specifically for this posting I've installed Python 2.4.1 --without-cxx. All of
our 50 Boost.Python extensions still work without a problem.

Cheers,
        Ralf