[Python-Dev] Thoughts on stdlib evolvement

Tim Lesher tlesher at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 00:36:48 CEST 2005

On 6/6/05, Reinhold Birkenfeld <reinhold-birkenfeld-nospam at wolke7.net> wrote:
> - Flat namespace: Should we tend to a more hierarchic library (e.g.
>   inet.url, inet.http, inet.nntp)? This would increase clarity when
>   searching for a module.

-1. I feel the opposite way: when trying to figure out where something
"lives", I prefer Python's flat namespace to (for example) Java's
com.company.baz.bar.foo hierarchy.

> - 3rd party modules: There are many superb modules out there, some of which
>   really do have a "standard" character. Examples include PIL, numarray,
>   ElementTree, [wxPython - I know this is a hairy issue],

I think the most important question for each of these is "is the
module's release schedule at least as stable as Python's?".  For many
of these, I suspect the answer is "no".

--
Tim Lesher <tlesher at gmail.com>