[Python-Dev] Recommend accepting PEP 312 -- Simple Implicit Lambda

Kay Schluehr kay.schluehr at gmx.net
Sun Jun 19 08:52:19 CEST 2005

Donovan Baarda wrote:

> I must admit I ended up deleting most of the "alternative to lambda"
> threads after they flooded my in box. So it is with some dread I post
> this, contributing to it...

I must admit you are right. And I will stop defending my proposal
because it seems to create nothing more than pointless polemics.
Suggesting elements of FP to python-dev may have the same chances to be
accepted than raising a Buddha statue in a catholic church.

> As I see it, a lambda is an anonymous function. An anonymous function is
> a function without a name. We already have a syntax for a function...
> why not use it. ie:
>
>   f = filter(def (a): return a > 1, [1,2,3])

You mix expressions with statements. This is a no-go in Python.
Permitting those constructs is a radical language change not just a
simple syntax replacement.

Kay