[Python-Dev] Migrating to subversion

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Mar 6 20:16:08 CET 2005

I don't know whether anybody has done this before,
but I just tried to run cvs2svn on the Python repository.
The conversion took 7 hours, and the result is now
available at

http://www.dcl.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/python/branches/

Because of the load that the conversion produces on
the machine, I cannot run the entire conversion every
day. Reportedly, cvs2svn is able to run in incremental
mode, but I haven't tried this out yet.

On close inspection, you might notice a few things:
- A few branches/tags are missing, namely
   r16b1|cnri-16-start|descr-branch|release152p1-patches|after-c
all-reorg|r22a1|before-call-reorg|release16|r161|r161-branch|r16a2|release152p2
   I had to manually exclude these tags, because cvs2svn complained
   that they (some of them) are tags on some files, and branches
   on other files. When I excluded these, it then complained that
   some other tags depend on the excluded ones, so I had to exclude
   these as well.
   I suspect that this can be fixed by modifying the CVS repository
   before the conversion, typically by converting the version tags
   to branch tags. cvs2svn did not report what files specifically
   caused the problems, and I don't know the proper cvs/rcs
   incantation to fix these. So if anybody has done that before,
   or knows how to, please let me know.
- A few tags are useless, most notably the "vendor" branches.
   I think they should be excluded in the conversion.
   I don't know where the "unlabeled" branches come from, but
   they appear to be useless as well.
- It has imported the CVSROOT directory as well. I don't
   know whether this is deliberate/useful.

Anyway, this  repository is now online for anonymous read-only
access. Anybody interested in playing with it is welcome to
do so.

For those interested in server side issues: the repository
is an 1.1.1 fsfs repository. The CVS repository consumes
368MiB; the SVN repository 797MiB.

Regards,
Martin