[Python-Dev] rationale for the no-new-features approach

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Wed Mar 9 17:40:13 CET 2005

My google-fu returned, and I found the piece I was looking for earlier.
This discusses (from an internal Sun perspective) some of the problems
with Java. They make quite a big deal about the problem of changing
code across minor releases. I recall (re)reading this at some point and it
helped me clarify some ideas floating around in my head.

http://www.internalmemos.com/memos/memodetails.php?memo_id=1321

On Thursday 10 March 2005 03:01, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> For those who only remember bool(), Python 1.5.2 was probably the
> worst offender here (it had nothing to do with 1.5.1). Mea culpa
> etcetera.

That was a heck of a long time ago, and Python was a heck of a lot
younger then. Hell, I can still remember the
interpreter-prints-all-return-values-to-stdout being turned off sometime
during the 0.9.x series (best minor-release-change ever!).

And while the True/False issue was a complete pain, it at least serves
as a good example (in the
http://www.despair.com/demotivators/mis24x30prin.html
sense of the word <wink>)

Anthony