[Python-Dev] Adding any() and all()

Peter Astrand astrand at lysator.liu.se
Fri Mar 11 12:43:01 CET 2005

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005, Paul Moore wrote:

> > Not sure this is pertinent but anyway: "any" and "all" are often used
> > as variable names. "all" especially often and then almost always as a
> > list of something. It would not be good to add "all" to the list of
> > words to watch out for. Also, "all" is usually thought of as a list of

> Using "any" and "all" as variables hides the builtins, but doesn't
> disallow their use elsewhere. Personally, though, I wouldn't use "any"
> or "all" as variable names, so that's a style issue.

Even though you can use them as variables (and shadow the builtins), you
will still get warnings from "pychecker". The code will also be harder to
read: When you see "all" in the middle of some code, you don't know if
it's referring to the builtin or a variable.

Personally, I think Python has too many builtins already.

/Peter Åstrand <astrand at lysator.liu.se>