[Python-Dev] Decimal construction

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Wed May 18 15:05:55 CEST 2005

On Wed, May 18, 2005, Tim Peters wrote:

> I think it shows more why it was a mistake for the decimal constructor
> to extend the standard (the string->decimal operation in the standard
> respects context settings; the results differ here because D(whatever)
> ignores context settings; having a common operation ignore context is
> ugly and error-prone).

Not sure what the "right" answer is, but I wanted to stick my oar in to
say that I think that Decimal has not been in the field long enough or
widely-enough used that we should feel that the API has been set in
stone.  If there's agreement that a mistake was made, let's fix it!

"And if that makes me an elitist...I couldn't be happier."  --JMS