[Python-Dev] Building Python with Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Nov 10 20:52:16 CET 2005

Christos Georgiou wrote:
> I didn't see any mention of this product in the Python-Dev list, so I
> thought to let you know.
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/download/
>
> There is also a link for a CD image (.img) file to download.
>
> I am downloading now, so I don't know yet whether Python compiles with it
> without any problems.  So if anyone has previous experience, please reply.

I don't have previous experience, but I think this it likely shares the
issues that VS.NET 2005 has with the current code:
1. the project files are for VS.NET 2003. In theory, conversion to
    the new format is supported, but I don't know whether this conversion
    works flawlessly.
2. MS broke ISO C conformance in VS.NET 2005 in a way that affects
    Python's signal handling. There is a patch on SF which addresses
    the issue, but that hasn't been checked in yet.

Regards,
Martin